The Blue Series Book is available here: https://thirdmanstore.com/catalog/product/view/id/3323/s/blue-series-book/
Edited by Ben Blackwell
Foreword by David Fricke
Third Man Books, 2017
The 282-page books details the story behind the Jack White produced Blue Series 7” singles from Third Man Records. The book includes exclusive interviews with Blue Series artists, foreword by award winning Rolling Stone journalist David Fricke, its own exclusive 7” vinyl single of unreleased Blue Series songs from First Aid Kit and ex-Butthole Surfer Gibby Haynes, and a ten song Blue Series sampler via download card. As the brainchild of Jack White, the Blue Series single started in tandem with Third Man Records, White’s Nashville-based record label founded in 2009. Built on the simple premise of 7” 45rpm singles all recorded in the same studio, with the same producer (White), with photos taken in the same locale (Third Man Records’ onsite Blue Room) and manufactured at the same pressing plant (United Record Pressing, a stone’s throw from TMR’s offices) the resultant 40 singles impressively run the gamut of artists and styles. Whether it’s the wildly popular like Beck, the classic veteran Tom Jones, the character Stephen Colbert, the polarizing Insane Clown Posse, or previously unknown performers making their debut releases, the Blue Series is the perfect snapshot of what Third Man, and by extension Jack White, have focused on and championed for the past seven years. With exclusive interviews from Blue Series artists, The Blue Series: The Story Behind the Color, Volume One documents the Series’ behind-the-scenes stories, personalities, recording process and inner-workings, real world promotion, and commercial reaction. Such in-depth and tell-all accounts are quite rare both from White and Third Man and should help contextualize what a truly unique and unparalleled collection of song and performance these singles comprise. Not to mention most were recorded with only 24 hours notice.
*Special Limited Special Edition of 500 —available Records Store Day 2017— will feature a 7” single of unreleased Blue Session songs by First Aid Kit and Gibby Haynes on exclusive blue vinyl pressed at TMR’s very own pressing plant in Detroit! The Special Edition will also be signed by the book’s editor, Ben Blackwell. The Standard edition will be released June 6, 2017 with black vinyl 7”.)
* Interviewees include Stephen Colbert, Dwight Yoakam, Courtney Barnett, Kate Pierson, Wanda Jackson, Insane Clown Posse, First Aid Kit, Mildred and the Mice, Dex Romweber, Lillie Mae, Ruby Amanfu and more Blue Series artists.
* In these exclusive interviews, artists describe their Blue Series recording experience in a behind-the-scenes look at their own creative process and the creative process of producer Jack White. The immediacy of the recordings and unusual circumstances create stories rife with insight and interesting moments.
* Includes extensive interview with Jack White covering the span of the Series, musicians involved, recording techniques, and the direct influence of the series on his own career.
* Features unseen photos of the artists, including Jack White, plus an interview with principle photographer Jo McCaughey.
* A sample playlist of Blue Series songs curated by editor Ben Blackwell will be included via download card.
* Foreword written by David Fricke, who is one of the most recognizable names in music journalism. Mr. Fricke witnessed the Dungen Blue Series session and is the only journalist who has been in the studio during one of the recordings.
* Preface by TMR co-founder Ben Blackwell. The book also features contributions from TMR co-founder, Consigliere Ben Swank, long-time TMR Queen of Hearts Bonnie Bowden, and TMB editor Chet Weise.
* Over 100,000 copies of Blue Series 7″ vinyl singles have been sold with digital streams and downloads combined actual consumption is over 1 million.
* Artists covered in the book include bestsellers such as Beck, Tom Jones, Brittany Howard (Alabama Shakes), and others.
Ben Blackwell is a drummer, journalist and record label executive. Originally from Detroit, Blackwell has been a member of the Dirtbombs since 1999, playing hundreds of live shows and on dozens of recordings. Blackwell’s writing has been featured in numerous books and publications and won him the 2004 Rolling Stone college journalism award. As an executive at Third Man Records in Nashville, he’s directly overseen the release of over 400 different titles and the pressing of over three million pieces of vinyl.